Selkirk defeat league leaders at Murrayfield

H.Murphy and D.Heard both played pivotal roles in a solid victory over Murrayfield DAFS II at Roseburn on Saturday.

Following a frustrating loss at local rivals Gala on Thursday evening, Selkirk made four changes for a well earned victory away at Murrayfield DAFS II.

The hosts won the toss, elected to bowl and would be excused if they had made mid-afternoon plans away from cricket considering the visit of the borderers last year when they were all out for 84 at a similarly sunny Roseburn Park. The early dismissal of opener Paterson (3) buoyed the Edinburgh bowlers and G.Fenton (32) and I.Gardiner (5) had to work hard for a partnership of 39 from 12 overs. Both had succumbed by drinks with the score at 62 for 3 and were replaced by respective siblings.

M.Fenton (28) and D.Gardiner (18) pushed the score along but were both tempted by the slower bowling of Rafferty, Fenton lobbing a catch to mid wicket and Gardiner playing on to his stumps. Ever capable of a cameo with the bat, H.Murphy (34*) stepped in to a starring role for the innings, and ultimately the match. He scored off every one of his first eight balls and hustled and harried the now much quieter fielding side, ably assisted by both A.Murphy (9) and Toor (10). The hosts were left bemoaning a dip in performance after drinks as Selkirk finished strongly with 34 runs from the last three overs to reach 162 with the loss of 7 wickets.

The league leaders were confident of chasing down the total but they lost a clutch of early wickets. Heard (4-20) was almost unplayable for his first four overs, pinning three of his victims LBW and catching the fourth himself. Rangaswamy and Mohammed steadied the ship and kept their wickets until drinks where Murrayfield DAFS IIs were similarly placed to their visitors at 64-4.

The stylish Mohammed was putting away every bad ball and the partnership moved beyond 50 before M.Fenton, on as 5th bowler, bowled Mohammed for 25 runs. Murrayfield DAFS IIs continued to build their score and the game was well poised with batters throwing the bat at ball at both ends. D.Gardiner got little reward for bamboozling the batters, with a multitude of fresh air swipes from the lower order batsmen. However, at last a catch was taken in his last over, the oldest player on the pitch taking a good high catch at deep cover.

At 125 for 8 the hosts still had a chance but G.Fenton had come back on to bowl and runs had dried up. Rangaswamy was taking bigger risks now, trying to maintain the right run rate, and scooped the ball to D.Heard. This spelled the end of the fight and at the other end M.Fenton cleaned up the tail to finish with 3-44. A.Murphy bowled Wilson-Barlow with the last ball of the innings, ensuring all Selkirk bowlers had taken a wicket.

This week marks 150 years of cricket at Philiphaugh and this will be marked by a double header against Grange, who were the first team to play Selkirk at their ‘new’ home in 1872. On Saturday is a Division 3 fixture against Grange III followed by a more sedate match on the Sunday between older players from both clubs. An invitation is extended to all ex players, officials and others to join us for this big weekend.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: